July 14, 2008

Speaking of Vaginas...

While driving on the George Washington Bridge the other night, I looked over to see the city skyline. It reminded me of a time in my life when I wanted to be on the stage. The NYC skyline always has that effect on me--it epitomizes theatre to me. When I was in high school, I dreamed of going to New York University. (I was coming off the high of attending Nationals for dramatics.) I imagined myself walking down the streets of New York like I had so many times as a kid with my aunt and uncle who lived on Lexington. Unfortunately, my dad informed me that he couldn't afford to send me to NYU. My dreams of attending a school in the city faded as practicality set in, although I did start my freshman year at Penn State as a theatre major. I would change it to Comparative Literature before deciding on the generic English major because of some well-worded brochure for the English department. I could go in many directions with that kind of degree. Besides, who really makes a living as an actor?

Other than being involved in some theatre during college and making it to callbacks for an off-Broadway production locally a few years ago, I haven't done a thing in the theatre. So the other night I decided that I would get involved again, even if just to volunteer as an usher or something like that. It came on the heels of my dad's suggestion to get involved again. We went for dinner in town a few weeks ago and as we passed a local theatre, my dad said, "You should do something like that again. You were good."

Sure, my dad is biased, but I honestly had thought the same thing myself. Just because I haven't done it in a while doesn't mean I can't, right? So I pointed my browser at that local theatre's web page. I was so excited when I saw an OPEN AUDITIONS link. I clicked on it and it was calling for women to participate in The Vagina Monologues.

"Holy shit!" I said out loud as the feminist actor in me leapt out of my head and pranced on the couch. I can't be sure, but I think she was spouting some lines from Taming of the Shrew as well.

I suddenly pictured myself backstage before the show with that wonderful, alive nervousness of opening night. My dad would be proudly sitting in the front row, along with all of my friends and family. I would be on the stage again. I was so happy with the thought.

SEND AN EMAIL to be considered.

So I did.

I wrote an email professing my interest and hit SEND.

Oh my god.

There.

I did it!

I would possibly be realizing my dreams again, albeit on a small level.

Then it dawned on me. What was the date of the show?

February 9th, 2008.

As in...five months ago.

In my excitement, I guess I forgot it is 2008.

I'm an idiot.



I guess I got too excited...

3 comments:

Glenn said...

"who really makes a living as an actor?"

Does anybody make a living as an English major either?

Jason Hughes said...

Well, I would have been there to watch you turn into a mega-star five months ago....

Still, though, don't let this discourage you!!! You would ROCK as a vagina! LOL!

(Really, they should have the speaker dress up as one just for shits and giggles... More men would probably come to watch it and maybe learn a thing or two... you think?)

Jason Hughes said...

Ugh...

Are we still talking about Vah-jay-jays?