November 14, 2006

Who Knew Keeping a Blog Could Be So...PRODUCTIVE?

Okay, so I'm finally updating. It's been a month full of changes, so I'm sure you'll forgive me for my absence.

For starters, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on October 12, 2006. We named her Katelyn and we're so happy to have her. The birth was quite an ordeal, though. I was in labor for about 24 hours, had an epidural that didn't work, had a spinal that made me crazy, dilated ten centimeters, pushed for 3 hours, then finally had an emergency C-section because the baby was too big and coming down crooked. After all my efforts, the doctors had to push the baby BACK UP for the C-section, causing her to have a bowel movement in utero, which is dangerous. So she was wisked to the NICU right after she was born and stayed there for four days as a precaution. It was a weird time because I only held her for a few minutes total during those days. She is very healthy now, but it was an arduous time and my recovery was very difficult. I was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder from the ordeal and I am just starting to feel like myself again.

My beautiful daughter was certainly worth it, although birth control pills will be in my future. I never thought I would say that. Funny how infertility works, isn't it?

Dan finally told the Jehovoh's Witnesses not to come to our house again. They listened...for two days. The quest for peace continues.

In other news, my in-laws accused us of trying to keep Katelyn from them because Dan told them one time that they couldn't come to visit. More interestingly, I actually have this blog to thank for getting them out of my hair, at least for the time being. After Dan's mother and I had a somewhat heated (at least lukewarm) discussion about the messed up family situation, Dan's father wrote me an email asking me for the address to this site. I wouldn't give it to him and it was clearly a catch-22: he would either scour it looking for something I've said that could insult him if I gave him the address or assume there was things on it I didn't want him to see if I didn't give him the address. So since I didn't, he assumed that I was writing horrible things about them on here. He said that Dan must agree with those "things," even though Dan has never even been to this blog! His father ended the short confrontation with "Have a nice life!" before storming off to his truck and speeding away. I've never actually heard anyone say those words except for in a movie or afterschool special and I'm beginning to think I should start writing my sitcom or novel soon. I have enough drama for it. I'm not sure we've seen the last of the in-law bandits, but at least their getaway was clean.

So that was my month--a birth, the end of a relationship (perhaps), some grief, some joy. It's funny how you could summarize momentous, life-changing occasions into a few lousy paragraphs, isn't it? Yet I promise to write again, especially if it saves me from my in-laws.

Who knew keeping a blog could be so...PRODUCTIVE?

1 comment:

Jason Hughes said...

Well, well, well, look who's back! :D

Sorry to hear about all the complications during Kate's birth! Glad (very much so!) that everythig is going fine now (well, except for the in-laws, but on a comparison chart, I still think you'd be considered "doing well"!).